Thursday, January 13, 2011

Doodling in class

I first saw this video on the blog iLearn Technology, but I felt it deserved some attention on my own blog.  (If the video doesn't show up, you can see it here)



I love this video. I love how it shows mathematical inquiry for the sake of curiosity, something that is missing from a lot of secondary math classrooms (including my own on some days!) This video reminds me why I love math, and why many of my mathematics professors in college loved math.  I think we would have more students that loved math if we could somehow get students interested in these seemingly unimportant but interesting problems. How can we create a more inquiry-based curriculum, and how can we encourage more intellectual curiosity in our classrooms? How can the iPad help with this? 
I guess this goes back to what I was discussing yesterday - that while the current mathematics apps on the iPad help with routine practice, there are not a lot of apps out there that are promoting mathematical curiosity or concept building at the secondary level. I will keep looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment