Sunday, November 7, 2010

iPad Algebra I Textbook

This year, Houghton Mifflin Hourcourt is piloting an Algebra I iPad textbook in select California public school classrooms.

The e-book, called the HMH Fuse: Algebra I, is more than just a pdf of the paper textbook. The e-book contains self-tests where students get feedback on how well they understand a section, videos where a nerdy-looking teacher figure explains concepts, and demonstrations where students can see how changing the m in y=mx + b affects the graph of the line. Here is a video that shows how the textbook works.

I will be interested to see the outcomes of this pilot project. How will the student learning with the e-books compare to the student learning with the regular textbooks?

Regardless of the outcome of this particular experiment, I do believe that this is the way that all textbooks will be going very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment